4.08.2009

People in Utah Aren't Lusty?

You might think so, according to the picture at left. Here is a study by Kansas State University that claims to distribute the prevalence of the seven "deadly" sins geographically in the United States. My sister, the brilliant Emily Lannon, suggests a different graph, pictured below and right. Be sure to check out all of the sins and their distributions.







It certainly calls the question: Is sin an act of the will, or is it the muck in which we find ourselves? If I move to Utah, will I lust less? Do people in certain areas (usually rural ones) have more will power? Fewer temptations? Or is sin really measurable? Isn't this the exact point that Jesus makes in the Sermon on the Mount? He might well have said, "You have heard it said that people in L.A. are the greediest in all the land. But I say to you, look deeper in the hearts of those North Dakotans!" Apparently, at least where lust is concerned, Mississippians wear it on their sleeves...

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger DRP said...

This is amazing!! I'm not sure if it is because NYC is hard to see on the map, but it definitely looks like we are more holy than LA. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

April 8, 2009 at 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

couldn't they have come up with a better way to determine score? What about women?

April 8, 2009 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Nick Lannon said...

it's patently ridiculous, in so many ways...it's almost a joke, even to the researchers. they say they're not going to stop because it's "too much fun."

April 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Hawley said...

That's pretty hilarious. Wow. I wonder if it's just because no one LIVES the areas where it's blue. That's like... all fields, with a few cows, maybe some trees...

Or maybe those people are just better about lying/covering up their sinful desires? :)

April 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Todd Brewer said...

The data on lust is based upon the number of reported cases of STD's...note, it has to be reported.

If I lived in Utah caught an STD from "riotous living," I'm pretty sure I'd be on the first bus to Vegas!

April 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Haha amazing! According to the sin map, the Eastern Shore of Maryland looks like a great place to live...

April 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Jeff Hual said...

It was kind of funny that the main "Lust" map used reds and blues and most of the red is in red states and vice versa...Mighty steamy down heah in the southland.

April 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Jeff Hual said...

On more--I can' help it. They used to call the South the Bible Belt. Now it appears we've become the STD Belt...

April 8, 2009 at 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Michael Cooper said...

The problem with the purple map is that it includes Canada, and as we all know, Canadians don't sin. Eh?

April 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Joshua Corrigan said...

This makes so much sense. According to this map I live in a Scorching hot lust zone but commute to a frigid holy zone (seriously). No wonder I've been staying home so much lately.

April 8, 2009 at 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Jeff Hual said...

Joshua, I never knew Jefferson County was such a hotbed of lust! Of course, there are those stores on Southside...

April 9, 2009 at 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are there two Lust maps

April 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Nick Lannon said...

Hmm...I got the lust map I used in the post off a google image search. It has the Kansas State logo on it, I assumed it was the same.

April 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home