1.03.2008

What Is The Distinction?

People often ask me what I mean when I talk about "the distinction between the Law and the Gospel" (I talk about it a lot!). It sounds fancy, I know, but does it actually have any grounding in the Bible? Or have I simply made it up for the sake of convenience? A friend recently forwarded me this piece from The Marrow of Modern Divinity (1766) by Edward Fisher, and though it's a bit old-fashioned, I think it articulates the distinction well and demonstrates that yes… it is biblical.

"Briefly, then, if we would know when the law speaks, and when the gospel speaks, either in reading the word, or in hearing it preached; and if we would skillfully distinguish the voice of the one from the voice of the other, we must consider:—

The law says, 'Thou art a sinner, and therefore thou shalt be damned,' (Rom 7:2, 2 Thess 2:12). But the gospel says, No; 'Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners'; and therefore, 'believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved' (1 Tim 1:15, Acts 16:31).

Again the law says, 'Knowest thou not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God; be not deceived,' &c. (1 Cor 6:9). And therefore thou being a sinner, and not righteous, shalt not inherit the kingdom of God. But the gospel says, 'God has made Christ to be sin for thee who knew no sin; that thou mightest be made the righteousness of God in him, who is the Lord thy righteousness,' (Jer 23:6).

Again the law says, 'Pay me what thou owest me, or else I will cast thee into prison,' (Matt 18:28,30). But the gospel says, 'Christ gave himself a ransom for thee,' (1 Tim 2:6); 'and so is made redemption unto thee,' (1 Cor 1:30).

Again the law says, 'Thou hast not continued in all that I require of thee, and therefore thou art accursed,' (Deut 27:6). But the gospel says, 'Christ hath redeemed thee from the curse of the law, being made a curse for thee,' (Gal 3:13).

Again the law says, 'Thou are become guilty before God, and therefore shalt not escape the judgment of God,' (Rom 3:19, 2:3). But the gospel says, 'The Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment to the Son,' (John 5:12)."

-thanks to the Rev. Ben Phillips!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home