In Defense of Heidi
Eve
r since the first season of the Hills, I have been following the adventures of Speidi with as much self-righteous indignation as the next guy. Nobody can agree on how to provide health insurance to everyone in the US, but we can agree on one thing: Heidi Montag is ridiculous. But as I came back from the gym the other day, fresh off of a new haircut and shortly after changing my Facebook picture in celebration of Doppelgänger week, like Nathan to King David, Liza (my wife) pointed out the fact that "We are all (the would-be) Mrs. Botoxhead." I realized she was right, and I've had a revelation of sorts: I'm just like Heidi, but without the guts to put a hip bone in my jaw.
Ok, so maybe I haven’t (yet) had numerous
plastic surgeries or been on a reality TV show (fingers crossed), but from a Law/Gospel perspective, all Heidi did was “eat the whole loaf.” Our self-conception of beauty IS on the inside, and her insides said, “we feel ugly; let’s change how we look.” For those of us who have bothersome “target areas," agonize over new glasses purchases or spend time de-tagging unflattering Facebook photos, we may not have as much right to bash Heidi as we’d like. The promise of autopoiesis—self creation—is one of the curses of the Law, and all Heidi did was use the available tools to eat the apple.
r since the first season of the Hills, I have been following the adventures of Speidi with as much self-righteous indignation as the next guy. Nobody can agree on how to provide health insurance to everyone in the US, but we can agree on one thing: Heidi Montag is ridiculous. But as I came back from the gym the other day, fresh off of a new haircut and shortly after changing my Facebook picture in celebration of Doppelgänger week, like Nathan to King David, Liza (my wife) pointed out the fact that "We are all (the would-be) Mrs. Botoxhead." I realized she was right, and I've had a revelation of sorts: I'm just like Heidi, but without the guts to put a hip bone in my jaw. Ok, so maybe I haven’t (yet) had numerous
plastic surgeries or been on a reality TV show (fingers crossed), but from a Law/Gospel perspective, all Heidi did was “eat the whole loaf.” Our self-conception of beauty IS on the inside, and her insides said, “we feel ugly; let’s change how we look.” For those of us who have bothersome “target areas," agonize over new glasses purchases or spend time de-tagging unflattering Facebook photos, we may not have as much right to bash Heidi as we’d like. The promise of autopoiesis—self creation—is one of the curses of the Law, and all Heidi did was use the available tools to eat the apple.

2 Comments:
ha...great post rev. k.
I love that this blog consistently defends the indefensible:)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home