Another Excerpt from Whit Stillman's The Last Days of Disco
Charlotte turned to her. "Alice, one thing I've noticed is that people hate being criticized. Everyone hates that. It's one of the great truths of human nature - I think it's why my parents got divorced."
Alice looked implicated. Her eyes began to water slightly.
"I'm sorry," Charlotte added, apparently sincerely. "It's just that you're so terrific - it makes me sick to think that you might get in that terrible situation again where everyone hated you-"
"Hated me?"
"You're wonderful," Charlotte said, sitting next to her. "Maybe, in physical terms, I'm a little cuter than you, but you should be much more popular than I am... It'd be such a shame if what happened in college repeated itself."
Alice looked implicated. Her eyes began to water slightly."I'm sorry," Charlotte added, apparently sincerely. "It's just that you're so terrific - it makes me sick to think that you might get in that terrible situation again where everyone hated you-"
"Hated me?"
"You're wonderful," Charlotte said, sitting next to her. "Maybe, in physical terms, I'm a little cuter than you, but you should be much more popular than I am... It'd be such a shame if what happened in college repeated itself."
Labels: Children, DZ, Film, Literature

7 Comments:
This is a brilliant, funny, stunning, true quote.
Now I feel as if I should see this movie.
Paul, this reminds me of something you said once about how everyone hates unsolicited advice because it sounds like criticism/judgment.
See the movie! It's so great! You'll probably only find it on VHS unless you find one of the few covetted (i.e., selling on ebay for like $100) original dvds.
Note: this "perfect" song is in there too!
Dave Zahl owns one of said dvd, btw...But guess who gets it if he dies?! ;)
His faaaather gets it.
This is just sooo...IDK..woman. God love us.
love the excerpt! but I really love Chloe's crushed look (ok, and fabulous makeup) in the picture.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home