10.22.2008

The Law, Cats and Identity Formation

Question: "What is a man's best friend?"
Answer: "Dog."

In a few years, this answer may no longer be the correct one. According to an article published in the New York Times earlier in October (click here to read), a growing number of men are bucking the stereotype and unabashedly forging alliances with cats. It looks like the man-dog connection has been an oppressive force limiting the full development of masculine identity. In addition, it has been a source of unnecessary bravado and machismo, a turn off to many wom
en. Commenting on men who own cats, Ms. Daza observes: "They make the best boyfriends because they’re totally cool with staying home and watching a movie. Straight men with cats seem to be really secure and stable. They don’t need to be running around the park and proving their masculinity like the dog guys.”

Who kn
ew? Is this a case of open rebellion against societal expectations, against a "law of masculinity"? Or is this simply about giving cats their due respect? Do real men eat quiche, too?

This article struck me as a bit trivial and and made me laugh a bit. But then it got me thinking about the different things in which I anchor my identity, the standards I use to judge myself and others. I am glad that the Gospel tells me exactly who I am (not as good as I think!) and that Jesus extends redemption (a new identity!) regardless. Whew!

On that note: As much as I think cats are fine house pets
, I think I'm comfortable being a dog kind of guy.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Joshua Corrigan said...

You've got to be kidding me! I had a cat for five years until I heard that guys with cats were usually homosexuals. So, I got rid of my cat, rented a house with a fenced-in back yard, and have been looking for a dog. This article ruins everything!

Come to think of it, I was more stable when I had little kitty around.

October 24, 2008 at 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am, and always have been, very fond of cats. It is about time they are getting the respect as a legitimate choice of pet for males.
I am also heterosexual, not that theres anything wrong with that.

October 24, 2008 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger David Browder said...

Silas read that article and thinks it is total hogwash.

October 25, 2008 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Caroline Henley said...

makes sense as cats require less of a commitment.

October 27, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home