3.02.2011

Those Winter Sundays - Robert Hayden

Sundays too my father got up early 
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold, 
then with cracked hands that ached 
from labor in the weekday weather made 
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him. 

I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking. 
When the rooms were warm, he'd call, 
and slowly I would rise and dress, 
fearing the chronic angers of that house, 

Speaking indifferently to him, 
who had driven out the cold 
and polished my good shoes as well. 
What did I know, what did I know 
of love's austere and lonely offices? 

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We studied this poem in English last year, and only now do I appreciate the 40 minutes we spent slaving over it. Beautiful stuff really.

March 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

Wow, what a beauty! Hayden's is a name I dimly recall. I'll soon be making a closer acquaintance.

March 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home