9.22.2010

Excerpt from 'Poem On His Birthday'

Yet, though I cry with tumbledown tongue
Count my blessings aloud:

Four elements and five
Senses, and man a spirit in love
Thangling through this spun slime
To his nimbus bell cool kingdom come
And the lost, moonshine domes,
And the sea that hides his secret selves
Deep in its black, base bones,
Lulling of spheres in the seashell flesh,
And this last blessing most,


That the closer I move
To death, one man through his sundered hulks,
The louder the sun blooms
And the tusked, ramshackling sea exults;
And every wave of the way
And gale I tackle, the whole world then,
With more triumphant faith
That ever was since the world was said,
Spins its morning of praise,

I hear the bouncing hills
Grow larked and greener at berry brown
Fall and the dew larks sing
Taller this thunderclap spring, and how
More spanned with angles ride
The mansouled fiery islands! Oh,
Holier then their eyes,
And my shining men no more alone
As I sail out to die

--Dylan Thomas

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Howard said...

This may not be everybody's cup of tea - it includes some fine art figure work photography - but as it's also my 50th birthday today, I just wanted to share some image and verse,
which you can find here:
http://www.savouredfaith.co.uk/Image%20and%20Verse/Image%20and%20verse.htm

September 22, 2010 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger dpotter said...

Hey Howard...I couldn't access the link. Happy birthday, however!

September 22, 2010 at 3:34 PM  
Blogger Howard said...

Let's try that again...
http://www.savouredfaith.co.uk/main.htm

That's the main page - then just select the blue button labeled 'Image and Verse' - that should do it!

September 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger dpotter said...

Howard, nicely done...tasteful...you're right that some people might have reservations, but I think your quote from Lewis captures the essence of the problem. Thanks for sharing your work, old boy.

September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Howard said...

My pleasure!
The Lewis quote touches on the fact that there's more to unpack here, so with that in mind, I've started a new blog!...

http://nuditusnaturalis.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-its-all-about.html

The nature of the material means the blog has to remain 'members only', so there may be a joining procedure,
but I hope you will join me in what, I hope, will be an encouraging and edifying venture!

I look forward to hearing from you,

Howard.

September 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home