Post-Easter Rock N Roll: Pulp's "Sunrise"
The last song off of my favorite record of theirs, the Scott Walker-produced swansong We Love Life. There's a lot that could be said of the heavy-duty allusions to death and resurrection, confession and repentance, rebirth, God etc... but I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Musically it's definitely one of those wait-for-it type of songs - i.e. the closing guitar part is worthy of Slash - and Jarvis really goes for it with his moves (which are amazing):
I used to hate the sun
Cause it shone on everything I'd done.
Made me feel that all that I had done
Was overfill the ashtray of my life.
All my achievements in days of yore
Ranged from pathetic to piss-poor
But all that's gonna change.
Because here comes sunrise.
Yeah, here's your sunrise.
I used to hide from the sun
Tried to live my whole life underground.
Why'd you have to rise & ruin all my fun?
Just turned over, closed the curtains on the day.
But here comes sunrise.
Yeah, here's your sunrise
When you've been awake all night long
And you feel like crashing out at dawn.
But you've been awake all night
So why should you crash out at dawn?
I used to hate the sun
Cause it shone on everything I'd done.
Made me feel that all that I had done
Was overfill the ashtray of my life.
All my achievements in days of yore
Ranged from pathetic to piss-poor
But all that's gonna change.
Because here comes sunrise.
Yeah, here's your sunrise.
I used to hide from the sun
Tried to live my whole life underground.
Why'd you have to rise & ruin all my fun?
Just turned over, closed the curtains on the day.
But here comes sunrise.
Yeah, here's your sunrise
When you've been awake all night long
And you feel like crashing out at dawn.
But you've been awake all night
So why should you crash out at dawn?

1 Comments:
This is worthy of praise if for nothing else than for the rhyming of "yore" and "piss-poor" :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home