Fringe Benefits of Failure - J.K. Rowling
Yesterday when I was searching the wonderful TED archive of talks, I ran across this speech J.K Rowling gave at the Harvard Commencement Address in 2008. (Aside – the TED site/community is a great resource IMO and worth your time)
I’ve never read any of the Harry Potter books and am only vaguely familiar with JK Rowling’s personal history as impoverished single mother who became a mega star author. But I was blown away by her speech and would categorize it in the theology of the cross realm– e.g. calling a thing a thing.
In about 20 min, she weaves a great story about the importance of having a low anthropology, the reality of failure, of evil, of ‘imagination’ as identification and of the need for help to come not from within – but from the outside.

Some salient quotes (emphases are mine):
1) Failure is real, and everyone WILL experience failure.
2) At the point of utter failure – "Rock Bottom became my solid foundation"
The benefits of failure
"... Why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential... I was set free, because my greatest fear had been realized... You might never fail on the scale I did, but some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something. Unless you live so cautiously, that you might as well not have lived at all. In which case you failed by default. ..."
3) "Life is difficult, and complicated, and beyond anyone’s total control, and the humility to know that will enable you to survive its vicissitudes."

What is more, those who choose not to empathise enable real monsters. For without ever committing an act of outright evil ourselves, we collude with it, through our own apathy.”
5) Evil is real
“Every day, I saw more evidence about the evils humankind will inflict on their fellow humans, to gain or maintain power. I began to have nightmares, literal nightmares, about some of the things I saw, heard, and read.
6) We need help from outside ourselves – and often that grace comes from total strangers.
And yet I also learned more about human goodness at Amnesty International than I had ever known before.
Amnesty mobilizes thousands of people who have never been tortured or imprisoned for their beliefs to act on behalf of those who have. The power of human empathy, leading to collective action, saves lives, and frees prisoners. Ordinary people, whose personal well-being and security are assured, join together in huge numbers to save people they do not know, and will never meet. My small participation in that process was one of the most humbling and inspiring experiences of my life.”
7) Strength in Weakness....
"If you choose to use your status and influence to raise your voice on behalf of those who have no voice; if you choose to identify not only with the powerful, but with the powerless; if you retain the ability to imagine yourself into the lives of those who do not have your advantages, then it will not only be your proud families who celebrate your existence, but thousands and millions of people whose reality you have helped change."
Labels: Books, Literature, Mr T, Psychology, Suffering


9 Comments:
This is amazing, Tom. Thank you for sharing. Major major league stuff.
any post with Ed Lover AND Kenny Powers is awesome by default. . . great post Tom!
If you think THIS is good, you should really try reading the Harry Potter books. They are absolutely wonderful, and you Mockingbird guys would have a field day with all the Law/Gospel stuff! The first three novels definitely read like kid lit, but starting with book #4, they really grow up and are unbelievably dense and rich with meaning. Lots of great Christian themes that are hard to miss (despite their having been deemed "satanic" by certain folks who must not be reading very closely...) Anyway, I recommend yourself getting up to speed with the first three movies, then starting with book #4, The Goblet of Fire. You won't be sorry!
Tom, thanks for drawing attention to this. Much better than the typical "the world is your oyster" graduation speech I've heard too many times. I've read all the Harry Potter books and the book very much reflect what she said in the speech.
I don't want to hear a speech about "my" personal "failure" that somehow led to "my" personal "success". I want to hear the failure speech that Jesus gave to Peter at the last: you are going to die, . Then, and only then, God's "success".
I second Margaret's recommendation! Though I might do movies for the first two and start reading with Book 3... But it's a deep well.
And for more Potter-related resources, Travis Prinzi's site The Hog's Head is a treasure trove: http://thehogshead.org/
Travis also has some great things to say about LOST.
Did someone say my name?
This really is a fantastic speech. When I heard her give it, I knew that her brilliant thoughts from this speech really served as the foundation for the Harry Potter series, so (shameless plug alert) I went ahead and wrote a book on it. These seven salient quotes you've pulled out inform so much of what she does with the plot and the symbols in the story.
I'll third Margaret's recommendation, although I'd say the first three movies, which did follow the books quite closely, still don't substitute for the intricate detail of the books themselves. Too many plot details, symbols, and themes will be missed by substituting the films for those three books.
This quote popped into my head:
"Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possibility of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing."
The stuff about failure is true. We live in that space between death and life:
Death(safety) <--> us <--> Life(dangerous)
Sin(death) <--> us <--> Jesus(life)
Love it! Thanks Larry.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home