2.10.2010

C.S. Lewis on Preaching

When a layman has to preach a sermon, I think he is most likely to be useful, or even interesting, if he starts exactly from where he is himself, not so much presuming to instruct as comparing notes.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger DRP said...

Thanks StampDawg. What a good thought.

February 10, 2010 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Aaron M. G. Zimmerman said...

What does he say about when a clergyman has to preach a sermon?

February 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger StampDawg said...

I think the "layman" qualification is just CSL's characteristic humility. The quote is the opening line from a sermon he preached (and of course he's a layman).

Personally I think it's a good thing for folks with collars to consider as well. Every sermon needs to be rooted in God's word, of course, but if it's not also rooted in the preacher's concrete personal experience I suspect it will fail to connect.

February 10, 2010 at 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankly, I think _most_ sermons would be far better off taking this approach: simply sharing something God has been teaching the speaker, or something the speaker has been reflecting on or wrestling with.

Even better, I'd love to hear some open-ended sermons: messages that leave us with more questions than answers, that drive us to our knees in wonder and desire to simply know God better.

Less pointing fingers. More sharing of the journey.

February 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger dpotter said...

reminds me of phillips brooks' definition of preaching: 'truth through personality'

...there is a terrible temptation among young clergy (i speak from first-hand experience) to imitate preachers we most admire, but i think it always comes across as forced and inauthentic...whenever i hear other people trying to mimic another's mannerisms, i tend to tune out.

February 11, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home