10.14.2009

Barth on God's Promise

"God says to us: 'Since I am the living God who is near and who is one, almighty, holy and merciful, I will be your God. I will care for you. I will carry you in my eternal thoughts...For you I will be your God, for you as you are, ridden with anxiety, worries and frustration, for you sins and for your death, but also for your resurrection from the dead, for your life in time and eternity.' God continues: 'I will stand by you, I will take sides with you, I will declare my unconditional solidarity with you, against all odds, against the whole world and all of mankind if need be, in particular against your own self!'"

Karl Barth, Deliverance to the Captives, p. 63-64

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank Dr. Larkin for bringing this great resource to my attention. You are the best Lauren!

October 14, 2009 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger dpotter said...

I'm soooo posting an Aquinas quote (in Latin, Lauren) next week in appreciation of this fine example of theological ecumenism.

October 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger L.R.E. Larkin said...

Well, Potter...I look forward to looking at it and pretending to be as smart as you.

McCormick...Dr. Larkin...that threw me for a loop...ha! I like it! maybe in ten years or so.

October 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home