9.28.2009

Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts and Converted/De-Converted Rockers

1. I was reminded over the weekend of the brilliance of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey, a SNL treasure from the 90s if ever there was one. A few favorites (ht John Pulliam and R-J):

I think a good product would be "Baby Duck Hat". It's a fake baby duck, which you strap on top of your head. Then you go swimming underwater until you find a mommy duck and her babies, and you join them. Then, all of a sudden, you stand up out of the water and roar like Godzilla. Man, those ducks really take off! Also, Baby Duck Hat is good for parties.

If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong though. It's Hambone.


If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."


Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. Basically, it's made up of two separate words — "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.


I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it.


2. This morning at The A/V Club: God said, “Rock!”: 8 artists who left secular music for God, then returned. A bunch of Mockingbird favorites among them:

1. Cat Stevens
2. Al Green
3. Wanda Jackson
4. Bob Dylan
5. Little Richard
6. Hammer
7. Josh Caterer
8. Ma$e

A few that I might add: John Davis, Jeremy Enigk (sort of), Tommy James.

p.s. be sure to read the comments.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sean Norris said...

I love Jack Handey!

September 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

who would have thought that a family could be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs?

September 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger heartafire said...

I think a funny thing is to tell a kid is that you're taking him to Disneyland. Then, get in the car, drive to an old abandoned warehouse, and say, "Oh no. Disneyland burned down."

September 30, 2009 at 4:52 AM  
Blogger Michael Cooper said...

I just read the link to the older Dylan post. Fantastic post, DZ. Dylan of the 80's was great, but Dylan of the 2009 Christmas album is living proof of the 5th point of Calvinism.

September 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home