9.08.2009

Five Beatles-Related Holy Spirit Moments

In celebration of today being international Beatles Day (the mono boxed set is on its way!), I thought I'd post five of my favorite quasi Gospel-ish moments in the Beatles-related videography. Stay tuned for an attempt at the definitive 1971 Beatles album/playlist. Counting down:

5. The first modern worship song? Or simply the strangest number one single of all-time?



4. "I'm A Loser" performed in France in 1965. "I'm not what I appear to be" is absolutely classic Lennon - vulnerability bordering on repentance, identity and artifice, suffering, unrequited love, this one has it all.



3. The 1968 performance of "Hey Jude" on The David Frost Show has worship written all over it:



2. The unbelievable energy of "She Loves You" makes another strong case for the uncommonly "common grace" coming out of Liverpool in the early 60s:



1. Dpotter posted this once and it remains the single greatest Holy Spirit moment in Beatles-related history. I figured it counts because George not only produced the album version, but both he and Ringo played on this performance. From the Concert for Bangladesh:

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dpotter said...

Love this Dave...and Billy always makes me wish I had the constitution to be a rolling-in-the-aisles Pentecostal. Also, his rather high church performance as Sgt Pepper (where he 'ordains' Peter Frampton as well as the Bee Gees), is among the greatest moments in musical video (even if this particular clip is out of sync):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEwZ68vWYQo

September 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger paul said...

I agree with Number Three TOTALLY and Number Two TOTALLY. These are inspired choices, evocatively and memorably presented. This is also a very timely item given the pop events of this week.
O Mockingbird, we love you!

September 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Michael Cooper said...

Wait one minute! Where is My favorite?

"When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be."

Hauntingly, gothicly beautiful :)
Sorry, I am being bad today, as usual.

September 9, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home