1.22.2009

Obama


Perhaps I've drunk the Kool-Aid and, at the risk of injecting politics into an otherwise apolitical blog, I must say that, thus far, I have been really impressed by our new president. Let me be clear, this has nothing to do with his policies, but rather with the obvious joy, energy and creativity that he is bringing to his work, including:

Letting his girls take yesterday off from school after allowing them to run around the White House all night, a treat which culminated in a surprise private concert by their favorite band, the Jonas Brothers (AP).

The party he held at the White House for 200 randomly selected supporters, whom he encouraged to "relax and look around."

The dinner he held in honor of John McCain.

The fact that he is a "struggling" smoker (give the guy a break!).


Perhaps all of this "fruit" is the result of the imputed righteousness that he has been granted by the American public in the form of 80% approval ratings. I can only hope that it lasts.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger John Pulliam said...

Obama's biggest challenge will be dealing with his on party on economic issues. He is going to have to fight hard to block wasteful spending suggested by powerful Democrats.

If I were Obama, I would play hardball with them from day one. If you don't use your power you lose it.

January 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger R-J Heijmen said...

John -

great to see you here!

what's your blog again?

rj

January 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photograph is WONDERFUL.
Makes one want to vote again for the man.

January 22, 2009 at 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in 100% agreement with PZ!
When I first saw that photo months ago, it solidified my support for the man.
Honesty in politics is soooo refreshing.

January 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Hawley said...

Gobama! I genuinely believe Barack loves Jesus and our God, and his love for God is revealed in the way he treats people and policies.

May God guide, bless, and work powerfully in him.

January 22, 2009 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger John Zahl said...

We celbrated communion yesterday and, in the prayer for the people, prayed for "our president, Barack", which sounded so cool and it was great to be kicking off his presidency with some "official" prayer, doing my duty, etc.

January 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

I've been in love with Obama since his speech on religion almost two years ago.

I do put HOPE in him (and the movement) for some solutions for this country and the world, but ultimately:

http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/entries/images/c0/47/314341/original_image.gif?1232658836

:)

January 22, 2009 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Matt Stokes said...

My humble prayer for our new president is that his heart would be softened on the matter of the unborn, and that he would have the courage to lead his party and his country towards a view of children so that they are indeed "welcomed into life and respected in law."

January 22, 2009 at 5:38 PM  
Blogger Trevor said...

Maybe Obama thinks the soul doesn't enter the body until the final days of pregnancy.

January 23, 2009 at 3:49 AM  
Blogger Bergeron said...

John - Your are right he is going to have to fight to stop the run away wasteful spending by our politicians. I hope that he does play hardball in that arena. So many problems could be solved.

Matt: I was truly disappointed today when he lifted the ban on federal funding for international groups that promote or perform abortions. I know it was an expected move, but... Earlier he told us that he would support policies to reduce abortions.

I will be praying on this one.

Kathy

January 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger R-J Heijmen said...

Kathy -

awesome to see you here!

January 23, 2009 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger ross said...

RJ,

Great post man. Really. Love the thought of the imputed righteousness of the president, and how it may have inspired or created love for those around him. So true! And it is especially interesting that the man who represents the apex of self-made success and power is a struggling smoker. Did not know that and it makes me love him more! So thanks. -Ross

January 24, 2009 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger ross said...

Oh, would you mind if I quoted you in my youth group's blog?

January 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger R-J Heijmen said...

ross -

quote me anytime!

January 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home