12.09.2008

True Community?

As the search for true community continues, Sony promises to release "Playstation Home" by January '09. Click here for a full (and terrifying) review. It seems that all of us want to be part of a real community. How is it that we continue to let cyber-reality pass as reality?

I am most frightened by the fact that my initial reaction to Playstation Home was, "Awesome!" Then as I read this article, I became more and more disgusted with myself and the idea that true community could be replaced with something fake - that instead of people interacting with me, they would interact with a fabrication of me.

To borrow Chris Haw's words, "My heart is not value-neutral." While this new social networking tool is value-neutral and claims that its purpose is to facilitate fun and games amongst friends who live far from each other, I fear that I would use this to replace real community, much like the way I tend to use Facebook to do the same.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger John B said...

Here's the final sentence that this entry was missing:

The Cross is the only thing that creates true community. When we pursue community for community's sake, we end up with weak substitutes and cool video games.

December 11, 2008 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger JDK said...

great post John. . .

December 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home